As Roses aren’t my area of expertise I’ve
stolen borrowed some of the classifications from Wikipedia. Of course different species and cultivars are found in different places, depending on local climatic conditions – terroir.
8. Carolinae – white, pink, and bright pink flowered species all from North America.
5. Gymnocarpae – one species in western North America (Rosa gymnocarpa), others in east Asia.
4. Laevigatae – a single white flowered species from China.
3. Pimpinellifoliae – white, pink, bright yellow, mauve and striped roses from Asia and Europe.
2. Rosa (syn. sect. Cinnamomeae) – white, pink, lilac, mulberry and red roses from everywhere but North Africa
1. Synstylae – white, pink, and crimson flowered roses from all areas.
Apologies for anyone expecting wine. Punctuation, grammar and spelling matter – these are Roses not Rosés ;o)